Whether it's a polar vortex or simply a blizzard, winter weather can be tough on our bodies, our cars, our travel schedules and our psyches. Here are some tips to protect yourself and employees during the winter months.
Create a Management Plan for Driving Safety
- Assign a key member of the management team, such as the safety and health professional, responsibility and authority to set and enforce a comprehensive driver safety policy.
- Set and enforce mandatory seatbelt use.
- Don't require employees to drive irregular hours or far beyond their normal working hours.
- Don't require workers to conduct business on a cellphone or text while driving.
- Develop work schedules that allow employees to obey speed limits and to follow applicable hours-of-service regulations.
Read more on protecting yourself during winter weather on EHS Today.