Cliff Meidl took the hard road to becoming a safety ambassador.
In November 1986, when Meidl was a 19-year-old apprentice plumber, he was nearly electrocuted at a Los Angeles construction site. The 30,000-volt surge of electricity stopped his heart three times, blew two toes off his right foot and eviscerated a third of his knee bone.
It took multiple skin grafts to repair the various exit wounds on his body, and a radical surgery to save his legs. More than 25 years later, Meidl still has difficulty walking.
Meidl has leveraged the experience to become a powerful spokesman for workplace safety.
"Safety is one of those things that I wish I would've known more about," Meidl said during a keynote presentation at the 2013 America's Safest Companies Conference in Atlanta.
For more, read "ASC 2013: Electrocuted on the Job, Olympian Meidl Energizes Crowds with Safety Message"
in sister publication EHS Today.